Will a Dishwasher Hurt It? What if I See Steam or Smoke?
One of the joys of air frying is the easy cleanup, which will be apparent immediately if you ever deep fry at home. All air fryers models have parts are covered with an oven-safe nonstick coating, which can, technically, be washed in the sink, in the dishwasher, or simply wiped clean. Be a wise shopper, though. Cheaper models may have a flimsier coating that scratches and peels more easily. Most of the complaints about air fryers have to do with peeling coating.
Non-stick coating has its own special demands. Here are a few links about the care of nonstick cookware, but bear in mind that air fryers usually coated in a way that tolerates heat. http://www.thekitchn.com/tips-for-taking-better-care-of-your-nonstick-cookware-198670 and https://www.thespruce.com/nonstick-cookware-bakeware-care-4071576
Non-Stick Surface Care:
- Never use a scouring pad, steel wool, or other abrasive pad to clean nonstick surfaces.
- Don’t use steel utensils to flip or stir. Use plastic or coated ones. Wooden tools work also, but they tend to harbor germs, and really shouldn’t be used for anything but decoration.
- If food is stuck to the pan or tray, soak it for a little while, and then wash. Sometimes putting water in the pan and gently heating it does the trick even better.
- Dishwashers should be on a gentle cycle with a gentle detergent. I have read that dishwashers are too hot for most non-stick surfaces, but I do not think that that applies to bakeware, which is designed for high heat.
- Don’t use nonstick spray on the air fryer pans themselves. Coat the food with oil, instead.
- Do keep the whole air fryer clean. This is important! Leftover oil or crumbs can ignite.
- Do replace a pan if the non-stick surface scratches.
- Oily and wet foods are inappropriate for air fryers and may produce smoke or steam. So might electrical failure! Unplug immediately, and call the manufacturer. See below for some tips on what foods shouldn’t be air-fried.
- If an air fryer won’t turn on, call the manufacturer.