Now that you’ve bought an air fryer, you’re excited about the culinary possibilities, but you’ve encountered some problems.
The first few foods that you prepared lacked crispiness, and some food stuck to the basket. These weren’t disasters, but you want better results.
An affordable accessory called an oil mister will solve your problems. It’s a pump container that produces a fine spray of whatever oil you place inside. As a mechanical device, it does not rely on chemical propellants to force the oil out of the can.
With an oil mister, you’ll have the ability to cover all of the food precisely with a thin and even coating of oil. This method creates crunchier results than drizzling oil haphazardly on food.
When to Use Oil
An air fryer can prepare foods that would normally go in a deep fryer. Spraying foods like fries or onion rings with oil allows the intense circulating heat of the machine to cook a crisp exterior and tender interior. Most recipes only call for about 1 tablespoon of oil, which is best applied with a mister.
Fatty foods, like bacon, won’t need you to add any oil. Leaner meats, however, will need some oiling to keep them from sticking to the pan.
Reasons Not to Use Commercial Cooking Sprays
You might be tempted to pick up a can of cooking spray, but you’ll miss the opportunity to select healthy oils. Here are some more reasons to avoid cooking sprays:
GMO Ingredients: Cooking sprays typically contain corn, soy, or canola oils. These come from crops that are almost always genetically modified to withstand pesticides. Consuming GMO oils means you’re putting food with chemical residues into your mouth.
Propellants: Cooking sprays rely on petroleum and natural gas derivatives like isobutane and propane to expel the spray.
Damage to Air Fryer Pans: Chemicals in commercial oil sprays can dissolve nonstick surfaces or leave sticky residues on pans.
Oil Mister Benefits
An oil sprayer will deliver additional benefits beyond protecting you from unwanted ingredients.
With a mister, you’re certain to prevent sticking. You’ll get oil across the entire surface of the pan. An oil mister also makes it easy to apply a second spritz of oil when recipes call for more oil in the middle of cooking.
Because cooking spray cans cannot be refilled, you’ll be throwing them away and buying new ones all of the time. A refillable oil sprayer reduces waste and prevents endless purchases.
You’re in control of oil selection when you have an oil sprayer. Your mister will work with any plant-based oils, and you can always select oils without chemical additives.
What Types of Oils Can I Use?
Your mister will work great with any oils that have a high smoke point. This means the oil will withstand high temperatures before burning.
Avocado oil has a high smoke point of 570 degrees and gives food exceptional flavor. Other good choices include light olive oil (468 degrees), refined coconut oil (450 degrees), and peanut oil (450 degrees). You’ll find that Bertolli brand oil and grapeseed oils are reliable.
More Ways to Use an Oil Sprayer in the Kitchen
The ability to spray oil goes beyond cooking with your air fryer. Products like the Misto let you spray baking pans and skillets or prep meat for the grill. A spray of oil on steak or chicken will stop sticking and enhance flavor. You’ll be able to reduce the amount of oil in a pasta salad while still getting a flavorful coating on everything.
Other liquids work in the misters too. Fill it with juice, water, or vinegar and spritz foods to add flavor. Water spraying could be very useful for sealing the edges of pastries before baking.
Recommended Oil Misters
Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Misters
- Misto is the #1 Selling Oil Mister Brand in the U.S (Source: The NPD Group, Inc./Retail Tracking Service. 52 weeks ending April 2016)
- Reusable oil spray and mister bottle gives you the convenience and health benefits of an aerosol sprayer in a more economical and environmental form
Cooks appreciate the sleek and attractive aluminum exterior of this sprayer that has been popular for years. It applies a fine spray of oil or other liquids. It provides full control of the amount of spray used on food. The manufacturer backs up all parts with a no-cost replacement warranty.
It contains up to 1/2 cup of oil. You only fill it halfway because the remaining space is pressurized with the pump action. You pump it until you feel resistance. As the container empties, you’ll need to pump more to maintain appropriate pressure. Be sure to unscrew ring and release pressure after use.
Mister is cleaned with warm sudsy water in the sink. Fill it with soapy water and then spray. Repeat the process with just water to rinse it.
Evo Oil Mister
- Evo Non-Aerosol Oil Sprayer dispenses any cooking oil and vinegar in unique fan pattern without any harmful propellants or chemicals for healthy foods
- Beautiful ergonomic design by Michael Graves Design Group; BPA, Latex, and DEHP-free plastic; won't clog or shatter; economical, reusable, recyclable
This product uses a trigger to expel a spray of oil or vinegar. It’s an appealing alternative to pump-action sprayers. The Michael Graves Design Group created an ergonomic form that works comfortably in your hand. Sprayer also comes with a funnel to assist with filling.
The materials within the product are free of latex, BPA, and DEHP. The bottle is safe to put in the dishwasher, but the sprayer mechanism needs to be hand washed. The product is built to resist breaking or clogging.
Its fan-shaped spray places a thin amount of oil across the food. Each pull of the trigger expels 1.35 ml of liquid. Cooks report great control over the amount of oil that they put on food.
Vremi Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle
- OIL BOTTLE with PRECISE MEASURING LABELS - 17 ounce cooking oil dispenser for kitchen with teaspoon, tablespoon, and milliliter marks on pourer top to mix and measure olive oil and vinegar. Perfect for salad dressing or for drizzling bread with flavor
- NON DRIP SPOUT and SILICONE LID - Reusable leakproof glass cruet container with black colored silicone lid pump and dripless pour spouts design ensures mess free pouring without spilling, sloping or leaking for accurate measurement every time
The glass chamber of this product eliminates any concerns about storing oil in a plastic container. A distinguishing feature of the Vremi is its measuring mechanism. It allows you to choose a teaspoon or tablespoon or measure in milliliters. This feature helps you reduce oil consumption because you won’t be guessing at oil amounts when you’re cooking.
You won’t have to deal with any messy drips with its no-drip pouring design. To create pressure in the bottle, you press a silicone pumping button.
You might like its large 17-ounce capacity. You won’t have to go through filling it as often as smaller sprayers. The glass bottle is dishwasher safe, but, like most sprayers, you’ll need to hand wash the other parts.
Ideal Olive Oil Mister
- ✅ HEALTH & LIFE ENHANCING - Using an Air Fryer? On a Paleo Diet, use HCG or just love flavor? The Fine Life ™ Ideal Oil Mister lets you choose exactly the amount of oil you want to spray, where you want to use it, whether you're on a Paleo Diet, using HCG or just love flavor. - This FDA-Approved air pressure system eliminates smelly chemical propellants from your food or wasted expensive oil poured down your drain! - Now you can manage your calories while you eat all your favorite foods.
- 👍 BEATS ALL THE OTHERS ON THE MARKET - WHY is everyone complaining about all those cheap cooking olive oil sprayers you see below on the page? Read their most recent reviews instead of the ones from way back in 2004! Because they splatter, leak and break. Users get so fustrated they just throw them out. The Ideal Oil Mister sprayer solves ALL those issues! It WORKS and you'll use it for years. It's made with light weight food safe materials - easy to hold and use for kids and adults alike.
Designed for cooks using air fryers or anyone watching fat content in the diet, this product has a BPA-free plastic oil chamber. Because it’s not fragile glass, you don’t have to worry about breaking it if you’re cooking on a patio. At just over 6 inches tall, it’s small enough if you’re packing it in the RV.
Like other misters, you have full control of selecting oils. You’ll like the clear chamber because it lets you see how much oil that you’ve used. Its very fine spray produces good results in air fryers.
Although this product has a higher price than other misters, users have reported that it has easy pump action, is easy to clean, and does not clog.
Oil misters represent an essential accessory for cooks using air fryers. You’ll get crunchier fried foods while still maintaining precise control over oil use. Your air fryer pan will always get completely oiled, which solves the problem of sticking foods.
The health and cost benefits stand out as top reasons to add one of these to your kitchen tool kit. An oil mister lets you remove worrisome chemicals from your diet, and you’ll stop throwing away can after can of cooking sprays filled with lower-quality oils. To become an air frying master, choose the Misto for its great value and performance.
Last update on 2018-03-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API